Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Regarding Readicide (Gallagher, 2009)

I'm reading Readicide by Kelly Gallagher (2009) right now. It SO resonates with my own beliefs about what happens to kids' love of reading in schools. It happened to me. I was a voracious reader outside of school, but "fake read" every single novel assigned in high school (and probably college) because I resented being told what to think and being dragged along kicking and screaming through a chopped up, over-analyzed book that I didn't choose to read.

Here's a passage from Readicide that I just read a few mins ago.

"Chloe was turned off to reading by the ver teachers whose purpose was to turn her on to reading. Her love of reading, however, was squashed by the constant overteaching, the constant teacher-induced interruptions, the constant chopping up of great books. ... There are many Chloes out there--young, developing readers who are being led to readicide by the overteaching of books in our schools. How does overteaching books lead to readicide? Specifically, the overanalysis of books
- Prevents our students from experiencing the place where all serious readers want to be--the reading flow.
- Creates instruction that values the trivial at the expense of the meaningful.
- Spills over and damages our students' chances of developing recreational reading habits."

I agree, BUT, how in the heck do we make sure they DO get the historical, societal, literary, etc., elements out of it that they're expected to for their "American education" that builds a united American citizenship with common background and body of knowledge? How DO we teach vocabulary and writing along with a novel without chopping it up some? How are they doing this in China? Japan? Wherever else where they whomp our test scores? Are they even?

I am hoping this book answers these questions so I will know how to do this. I'll bet it doesn't (they so often don't, do they?), but I'll give you the $5 million answer if they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment