Just an update to an earlier post: my idea of reading just the first chapter aloud to my students in the hopes that they would want to continue on their own.
This does seem to be working! After I read a chapter, quite a few students are so interested in the book and want to read more. This creates a "problem," though: I only have one copy of the book and the school library only has one copy of the book and there are so many kids who want to read it.
Hopefully the kids who don't get their hands on the books right away will remember them when they are checked in. Some of the kids have expressed that it's a little frustrating to just hear the first chapter and no more: this discomfort is a great motivator to kids to read more....if we could only get copies of the books in their hands.
I am trying to buy more copies of the books I preview, but I can't afford it and maybe it's a good thing if they have to hunt for the book on their own. I just hope they do go and hunt for it...only time will tell.
So, two thumbs up for motivation; one thumb down for access.
The Next Chapter
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment