Another interesting article from Education Week. This one, by Pam Allyn (June 15, 2011) is about how the whole-class novel is alienating students--especially boys--and they shouldn't be done.
Against the Whole Class Novel
Wow, I'm seeing more and more research pointing in this direction. Yet another article telling us what we've done in the past may have worked in the past, but it needs to change as times--and students--change. I try to do this in my classroom already, but probably not to the extent that I should. For example, I allow students to choose their reading materials, but I've specified that they need to be novels. I allow them to read on nooks, Kindles, and iPods (as long as they can show me they're really reading!), but I hadn't thought of letting them read informational blogs. I like the idea, but would the administration see this as valuable? I guess it's up to me to educate them if they question it. And it's up to me to make sure the students are really engaging with "good" blogs...or at least ensuring they are questioning the value of questionable blogs? Lots of gray areas here, but tons of potential too so I think the risk is worth it.
The Next Chapter
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment